Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Unschooling. . .kinda, sorta

It's been a few weeks now since my husband and I pulled our 7 year old son, B, out of public school.  We homeschooled him for a couple of years (along with his 11 year old sister, J) and then they both started school last spring.  J is still enjoying school but B went from enthusiastically running to the bus stop early in the morning to refusing to go to school on quite a few days this winter.  So, we're back to homeschooling him. 
This time around, I'm taking a more unschooling approach to homeschooling.  Well, not sure if it's exactly unschooling but, definitely a more more relaxed approach.  I want my son to feel connected to his family, his friends and his world.  I want him to care about the things he's learning about.  I am trying hard to be less judgmental about what is worth learning/doing and what is not.  I am trying to provide him with interesting opportunities, activities, etc. . .and being o.k with him saying, "no".  I'm learning along with him-less about academics and more about how and why we choose to learn.  So, I'll be blogging about our days here and about this whole crazy adventure we're embarking on.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jane :) Welcome back to blogging, and homeschooling... it will be fun to see your journey unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yipee! My first comment... Thanks Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Sorry Andrea! Maybe we tied?

    I'm so glad Jane is back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about that, Jane is an unschooler and I'm not! Who would have ever guessed that one????

    ReplyDelete